Friday, January 29, 2016

21 & 22 Month Update


These months have flown by! We learned at Little Wonders that toddlers go through stages of equilibrium (period of stability and smooth, calm behavior) and disequilibrium (period of quick growth and new development; unsettled, uneven behavior). Looking back it all makes sense now. At twenty months I was throwing daily tantrums, biting, hitting, and just being volatile. Clearly I was in a state of disequilibrium. But the past few weeks I have been back to my happy, silly self, and we can all sigh with relief that I have passed that stage and am now back in equilibrium (for now - disequilibrium supposedly returns at 2 1/2 years).


Developments:
I talk and understand so much now. I know more words than we can count and will answer simple questions with a "yes" or "no." I can put words together to say something, usually it's "no something" or "Mommy all done." I love recognizing and pointing out animals, parts of the body, Sesame Street characters, and letters.


Not surprisingly I continue to be an avid climber. I figured out how to climb into my crib from the glider and back out again. It used to freak Mommy out, but now I've done it so often that she just acts as my spotter while watching me. 


Interests:
I've taken a huge interest in reading and am always making Mommy sit and read books to me. At bedtime I always try to squeeze in an extra book and get mad when it's time to turn off the light. Favorite books include: Good Night Gorilla; Where is Baby's Belly Button; Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you see?; Potty; and Yummy Yucky.

I've started to enjoy building things, whether it's with Legos, Megablox, or Magnatiles. I'll usually stack them as high as I could, then knock them down, and start all over again.

I also like drawing, with markers, not crayons, and on the walls and floor, not on paper.

And of course, there's iPad and TV. I'm able to sit through entire shows now with my full attention. Favorites include Elmo's World, Blue's Clues, and Paw Patrol. It's always nice when Kaitlyn watches with me. A few times Mommy has found us both in the coat closet, quietly watching a show on iPad (Kaitlyn likes watching in there because it's dark like at the movies).


Sleep:
Sleep has been good. I have so much energy throughout the day that I need my daily naps, and will nap between two to three hours in my crib. I sleep well at night, but lately I've been waking up around 5:30 in the morning and am ready to play. We've tried adjusting my bedtimes but that hasn't affected my wake-up times. Hopefully it's just a phase and I'll start waking up at normal hours. Until then, we'll continue the early morning iPad viewings.


Eating:
I'm still picky with food and hate most fruits and vegetables. The only foods I eat consistently are scrambled eggs, noodles, hot dogs. I'm a completely messy eater and my favorite utensil is my hands. To add to the mess I've become obsessed with dips. I will use french fries as a vessel to eat ketchup and barbeque sauce, dipping them over and over.

We are also happy to report that I am 98% weaned! For awhile I was demanding the "booby" multiple times a day, including in public. Mommy decided she had enough and one day as I was nursing, she randomly cried out "Mommy owiee!" I was a bit confused but more concerned that I hurt her, and it worked! After that I would just ask "mommy owie?" and when she said yes, I just gave up. We're working on getting to 100%. She still carries me to her bed and nurses me in the mornings so she can buy some extra time in bed.



Family:
With the holidays and frequent visits to Poh-poh's house, I really enjoy spending time with Cao-cao. He is my favorite person ever and as soon as he walks through the door, I get so excited. I even let him put on my diaper and pajamas when I don't want Mommy to.


I grew a lot closer to Kaitlyn too, since we were spending every day together for two straight weeks. I totally adore her and am always following her around the house, watching her and trying to do the exact same thing she is doing. I get so excited when we pick her up from school. As soon as she comes out of the classroom I start laughing and we give each other big hugs, it's very sweet. I can't pronounce "Kaitlyn" yet so am always calling her "She-see." I made it up myself, but it sounds kinda like "sister." 


Likes: playing with anything water related, whether it's in the bath, the faucet, Brady's water dish, or puddles of dirty rain water

Dislikes: wearing shoes, socks, jackets, or sweaters, no matter how cold it is.




No comments:

Post a Comment